Create a compelling multi-window experience for Android that scales across devices.
A solution that works with mouse and touch which lets users easily manage windows on the Android home screen.
More and more users are coming from a mobile perspective, their first computing experience is with a smartphone or tablet. In the mobile environment the application is king, files are secondary.
● Benchmark & user research to identify needs and challenges.
● Technical specifications of the prototype’s behaviours.
● Documentation for communication with stakeholders.
● Collaboration with the engineering team for prototype development.
A 3 weeks research project aimed at learning from people’s current usages, culminating in concept validation in user testing sessions.
Research: Key findings
● Constrained model:
A constrained model allows for users to see what is open at all times. They can choose to work with full screen apps if they wish to do so.
● Made for touch:
Non-overlapping windows have better and easier touch targets for direct window manipulation.
Users switch quickly between devices and displays during the day. Giving them a consistent experience across devices and displays is crucial.
● No hidden information:
Users struggle to find hidden windows or waste time managing the windows to uncover information. Non-overlapping windows give a cleaner and clearer visualisation of all the content in windows.
Key window operations
● Open app into window
● Open subsequent applications into separate windows in the same ‘space’
● Minimise a window
● Maximise a window
● Close a window
● Display and easily manage minimised windows
● Resize a window
● Move a window to a new position
A MOUSE oriented version of the multi-window solution
A TOUCH oriented version of the multi-window solution